Monday, November 17, 2014

Store ingredients for your family's favorite comfort food: Chicken pot pie


When there is a time that food storage will come in handy making a few of the family's favorite comfort foods can help to lessen the hardship. One of our families favorites comfort food is chicken pot pie and I found a really easy way to make it that even leftovers disappeared just fine. I like to pick up a few quick meal ideas when at the grocery store that can turn into a number of good meals. I have found a few good uses for Alfredo sauce besides on pasta, one is in a cowboy stew. This is a simple stew that is made with potatoes, carrots, onions, beef and you guessed it, Alfred sauce. I just put all the ingredients in the crockpot for 4 hours or so and it is finished. I salt and pepper it for taste and we nicknamed it Italian Cowboy Stew. The Chicken Pot Pie recipe that I want to share with you on this post also contains this Alfred sauce and it really adds a nice touch to this old comfort food.

When I make this recipe I make two pies and freeze one for latter. They are a lot of work to put together so you might as well do just a little more work and get two pies and a ready meal for another day.


Combine in skillet
1 pound chicken (cut in small cubes, browned with salt and pepper added to taste) or 2 cans 12.5 ounces of chicken
1 medium onion (you can also use 3/4 cups of dehydrated onions that have been rehydrated)
2 cans of Cream of Chicken Soup I use Campbell's
1 bottle of Alfredo Sauce
1 package of 8 ounces of Cream Cheese
1/2 cup water or chicken broth
(I had fresh thyme and parsley on hand so I just added 1 teaspoons of the Thyme and 2 teaspoons of the Fresh Italian Parsley to the chicken and sauce, another way to spice things up is Mrs. Dash Garlic Herb combination. I few teaspoons of this is sure to give it a good flavor too.)

Vegetables
I used 1 bag of frozen broccoli and cut the pieces small
1 can of corn
3 medium carrots sliced ( you can used canned or dehydrated carrots that have been rehydrated)
Fresh carrots will need to be cooked for about 5 minutes to make sure that they will be done when your pie is finished.
2 potatoes cubed in small pieces

mix vegetables with Chicken and sauce.



Pie Crust
I used the Lion House's recipe but feel free to use your favorite. I used a recipe that made 2 double crust pies because I prefer a bottom to my pie as well. Mix up and roll it out. It is also nice to sometimes use already prepared crusts.


Place the pie crust in your pie tin and spilt the chicken and vegetable mixture in half. The mixture will be heaping above the sides of the pie tin, but there is no need to worry about spilling over sauce because this is a thick sauce that serves like a perfectly set cream pie. Make sure that you have cut vents in the top crust and cover and crimp the edges.

Bake one and freeze the other is my method or invite a lot of friends because this pie is filling and feeds at least 6 people and 12 if you bake the 2.

Bake at 375 for 45-50 minutes. Make sure that you cover the edges so they don't brown too much.

Just add your favorite veggies that you have on hand. Peas and carrots are a wonderful combination as well. I added the broccoli because it really tastes good with the cheese.




No comments:

Post a Comment