Wednesday, November 19, 2014

10 Lessons I've learned from our Food Storage Challenge/ Food Storage Fast Food, 20 more meals before we quit


I have oddly enough really enjoyed living on our food storage for the last few months. I am excited by the challenge and I am thrilled with the results.

Lessons I have learned:

1. Food storage is about a state of mind and not just having a year supply at your disposal.
2. Don't rush into your food storage plan and then forget that it is there.
3. Food Storage should be part of everyday food preparation.
4. When you live on it you can better see changes that needed to be made.
5. Have enough cooking grease, butter, and other items that make the consumption of our food storage more pleasant.
6. Make your own bread. It tastes great, everyone loves it, and homemade is better in this case.
7. Come up with a continuing action plan to both inventory, and use food storage.
8. Consider what is needed to make sure that it will stay well stocked and balanced nutritionally.
9. Check food storage for what can and needs to be used up before you go shopping.
10. Do a bi-annual food storage challenge or have random drills throughout the year to check our preparedness.

Can you tell my husband is both military and boy scout trained? He is fun!

I am getting down to the last 20 meals before we will end this challenge, not because we can't keep going but because we miss our fresh vegetables, the Holidays are coming, and it is super hard to loose weight on this challenge.

Food Storage Fast Food

Part of my food storage contains ready meals in the freezer. These are awesome for when you don't have time to cook, and you don't want to waste your time, money and health on fast food. It is food storage fast food. Sometimes when I made a meal I just doubled it and froze the other half. Right now in my freezer I have a chicken and rice dish, meatloaf, chicken pot pie, roasts, and 16 more meals just waiting for their chance to come out. Right now my little boy is ill and it is so nice to realize that I can spend a little more time cuddling with him and helping him feel better and still have a healthy yummy dinner for the family.

I like to create fun and easy meals with things I have on hand. Last night I made bacon wrapped turkey with barbeque sauce, mash potatoes, and vegetables. I just cut the turkey into the size of tenderloins, wrapped them in bacon and cooked them in a crock pot for 3 or 4 hours and smothered with barbeque sauce. I wasn't a huge fan of the non-crisp bacon so I just put it in the oven at 425 for 7 minutes. My husband said it was tasty and boy was that easy. Next time I will grill them. What am I so happy about? I got to use up more of the bottles of sauces in my fridge.

So happy food storage adventures everyone. I will be writing about other things soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment