Monday, November 10, 2014

Introduction and Honey Wheat Bread recipe

Since this is my first blog post I feel a brief introduction wound be helpful. I was in my later 30s when I married my husband who was a widower with two grown sons. The blessing I had waited my whole adult life for was finally mine, yet it seemed so overwhelming too. I had prepared for years for marriage and family responsibilities but never in my life had I planned or anticipated on marrying a widower and taking on some of the challenges that came with that. Within the first two years of my marriage I had to move my home, quit my career, battle chronic illness and disability, had a child and married off a stepson. Not only was I caring for my family I also had three horses two dogs and a cat. Needless to say it is taking me a few years to get into the swing of things.

Now all the overwhelming tasks seem to be routine, my health is improved and I'm grateful for my  life that once weighed so heavily upon me. So with that new found energy I've been able to start some projects that have been completely enriching and informative. One such project is the inspiration for my first blog. Rotating food storage, I know it sounds totally fascinating doesn't it! ? Okay I'll admit that it may sound a little odd but I  felt driven to do this. We had worked so hard to build a supply of food that would help us when times are hard. It seemed a shame to me that we were losing some of the products just because they had reach their past due date. I thought to myself, this should never happen! I've got to do something. So I began to embark upon a challenge to rotate my food storage and that his led to 60 days of no grocery shopping. I must admit that I do have a home delivery service that provided fresh milk and eggs for my growing little boy, But there was no more regular shopping trips for me!

I have learned so much from this challenge. One thing that I've learned is that I really like to save money! Number two, I love food storage! And number three, I really like making my family happy with yummy food. By request I am going to start posting some of the recipes that help me to rotate my wheat as well as all other storage items that I had collected. I will share lessons I've learned And I will also include websites that I located  tips for cooking and recipes that have kept my family happy.



We tried a few different bread recipes this one was our favorite!

Honey wheat bread

Inspired by the recipe of Jan Clayton

5 cups scalded milk (I use powdered)
1 1/2 cup honey
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons yeast
9 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup butter
Two whole eggs
9 cups white flour
1 more cup flour as needed for the right consistency

Mix everything together except yeast and all the flower. I like to let my yeast dissolve in one of the cups of warm milk with 1/2 cup of the honey added. When you are almost done adding the flower add the yeast mixture. Then add only flour to make a soft dough. Depending on your elevation and the humidity you may use more flour. You know your dough is ready when it no longer sticks to the bowl but is still soft and pliable. Raise until double in a greased metal bowl. Mold into 4 loaves. Raise in pan until double.

Bake 375 for 25 to 30 minutes
Convection  oven 325 for 25 to 30 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment