Friday, January 23, 2015

Saving the World While Staying at Home With My Family



Dear Friends,

As I was thinking about this post I had a thought occur to me as I was making chicken soup for my sick family. My thought centered around how I have found a lot of joy in sharing my experiences on this blogspot. At times I feel like I am back to contributing to making the world a better place. I thought of other mothers that stay at home with their little ones understand how wonderful and important you are. I also understand that it isn’t always easy to feel that while doing 6 loads of laundry and cleaning bathrooms. Sometimes being at home with our little ones is a little overwhelming. To be perfectly honest I have never had a more demanding responsibility.

I gave up my career the day my son was born, but what I needed to understand was that I hadn’t given up on being a force for good in this world. I concentrated my efforts on my family the first 3 years of my transition from career woman to stay-at-home Mom. I had little time or energy for anything else, but I found that I was lacking the happiness I had when I was single and working in my profession, and I also was feeling out of balance. I love the gospel and how this precious gift has given me a pattern to follow that not only increases the amount of love I feel from God but a greater appreciation of my own life as well as for others. I knew I needed to look for the answer of how to fix this little problem within the teachings of the gospel. I did have a clue where the problem was and where to look, but I was literally surprised by what I found. Since I knew I needed to change something about myself I looked to where I knew I lacked. I recognized that one of the fruits of the spirit that I had always struggled with is in being temperate (See Alma 7:23). The scriptures use the term temperate  to mean being moderate and exercising self restraint. Combine that with this scripture, Mosiah 4:27 “…see that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength. And again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore, all things must be done in order….” and there you have my dilemma.

The Lord’s balance is required to maintain a healthy spirit and body. Life seemed to always throw me off balance with work responsibility, social engagements, and furthering my education. I obligated myself to be at the mercy of what others required and there was little time for anything else. Sometimes these requirements came in conflict with God’s requirement for living a temperate life. It also led to some health complications. While I was warned by my Acupuncturist that I needed to adjust the way I lived it would be years until I figured out how. While I made small adjustments I couldn’t see how I could do what I needed and still keep my job. After marrying my acupuncturist and retiring from my career I finally decided I would take control of my life and act as an agent rather than being acted upon, as Elder Bednar, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, has instructed many times. I wanted to know how I should change my life after those things the Lord required. After all the Lord has taught us in scriptures that being spiritually minded and that this is “life eternal” (see 2 Nephi 9:39).

One of the changes I have implemented was to concentrate my efforts in all areas of the threefold mission of the Church simultaneously. For those of you unfamiliar with our faith we believe in concentrating our worship in three main ways. They are;

 1. Perfect the Saints. This probably doesn’t need any explanation, but I will explain anyway because it is a beautiful way to show your love of the Lord. When Christ spoke with Peter after his resurrection he asked,” Do you love me?” three times. His response to Peter when Peter said he did love Him was to feed his lambs and to feed his sheep. When we work in the area of perfecting the Saints then we can work with those who have chosen to enter into covenants to serve God as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We work in a lay ministry which means we are volunteers in our church assignments and we are given multiple assignments throughout our lives. There are organizations for every age and some that are specific to gender. There are so many I will just refer you to Lds.org and Mormon.org to investigate further if you are interested. Serving with the saints gives us the opportunity to strengthen our own gifts and abilities while giving us a rich association with others to whom we may not have any other way to socialize with.

2. Proclaim the gospel. This area of worship is perhaps what we are most known for because it is how most people outside the Church become familiar with it. Proclaiming the gospel happens mostly due to the faith of 18 and 19 year old men and women who devote 18 months-2 years of their lives to accept calls all over the world and teach others the gospel. Senior couples are also called to organize and lead the mission. They are valuable resources to the younger missionaries. We as members also have the responsibility to share what we know with others. The sharing of the gospel is a great opportunity to show the love we have for the Lord and give others the opportunity to feel more of his love as well.

3. We believe in doing work for those who have died. This is called Redeeming the Dead. We take names of those in our family as well as other names who have been submitted to the temple for service to be done and act as proxy for them, meaning we receive ordinances for them in which they need for salvation, baptism is probably one of the most familiar to those who study the scriptures. This doesn’t have any power or affect if the individual does not want the work to be done. They are given the choice to accept it. What we do is facilitate the opportunity for them making that choice.

 I believed at one time that proclaiming the gospel, redeeming the dead and perfecting the saints; were things that I would focus on separately. I planned to work on redeeming the dead when I was in my later years; I was currently working in proclaiming the Gospel by teaching it full-time.  I also longed for a family of my own to focus entirely on perfecting the saints. I had begun to see there was an overlap at times between these missions but still my emphasis proved that I spent about 90% of my effort in one area at any given time in my life. While I don’t think I was trying to do anything wrong with how I lived I do feel like I was missing something.

When my Stake Presidency challenged us to find a name and take it to the temple I wondered how I would find time to do that. I was already maxed out in what I was doing, but then change occurred in me. I found that if I was more temperate and focused on family history, while still working on proclaiming the gospel and perfecting the saints I would be able to accomplish something in each one instead of just spending my time focused too much in one area and lacking balance. I have found like the spiritual gifts of faith, hope, and charity working together for our good the threefold mission of the Church is the same. As I spent more time in redeeming the dead it improved my focus in the other areas of Church service. My callings began to include more of a focus on the temple. I also felt an increase of the spirit, with this I felt more inclined to share my experiences by using the social media in a missionary like way. I believe that the Spirit can teach us all what we need to do to get more of the blessings of temperance in our lives.

I realized that even though I was at home most of the day and rarely had a chance to get out of my house I could still make a meaningful difference in someone’s life. Perhaps something I shared on my blog would help someone feel better. I find a name of relative to take the temple and give them the opportunity to choose the Lord. I could serve and love my family to the best of my abilities. I also felt like this new focus gave my family something more.  I felt a richer feeling of the spirit and most importantly I found a greater balance which is such a blessing for my little one because I can set a better example for him.

Ways you can accomplish the three-fold mission of the Church when your home or on your phone or computer.

Perfect the Saints

Don’t forget that being in the home is a great privilege and you are accomplishing the Lord’s work as you nurture and teach your family. Every mundane task is more important than you realize. Your home is a training center for life. Whatever you teach them to do and take care of in their home and with their family will be a blessing not just to them but to the world. We change the world one child at a time. Remember that families are primarily responsible for teaching the gospel to their children.

Start the day off right with prayer (family, couple and personal) and read your scriptures. I have my 2 year old get the gospel art kit notebook and we tell the scripture stories behind the picture. He loves it. Someday I use the Living Scriptures DVD’s. I put those one while my little one waits for me to finish making breakfasts. We always talk about what is happening so that he doesn’t become confused or too scared about difficult topics that the scriptures bring up. I find that if I have a testimony of the things I am saying and I am not afraid of any principle my children more readily accept it.

I know as a mom there is a lot less appreciation than when I was recognized in my career, and to think I felt unappreciated then. This is partly due to the fact that your children are too young to appreciate what you are doing for them and no one else sees it. I know that God does see it and will bless us. I have felt blessed when other thoughtful people have taken the time to offer sincere encouragement and compliment my worthy efforts.


1.       Think of ways to include your children in the work of the home.

2.       Sing a few primary songs before you children say prayers and go to bed.

3.       Make some of those delicious recipes you post on Pinterest and watch family happiness increase. In fact make a pact with yourself that you will not pin anything to your board until you make one thing on it that is already there.

4.       Teach the scriptures to your children on their level. Look to lds.org for helps in teaching young children.

5.       Sharing your testimony in non-formal ways on Facebook, twitter, Instagram or your blog. While this is also a missionary effort your testimony will also reach the hearts of members who know you and may need the uplift that day.

6.       Take time to compliment and encourage those who can through Facebook and other social media efforts, text messages, phone calls and of course the best way of all, face to face.

7.       For those of you who have the opportunity to stay at home with your children don’t forget to show appreciation to the one, or ones that make that possible. This will help the love in your home and relationships increase.

Proclaim the Gospel

You don’t need to be a full-time missionary to make a difference. Your unique experiences make your impact important. Many full-time missionaries are learning from their training to use social media in healthy ways. If you need ideas ask them for help. Using social media is sometimes easier for me to do because I can do it whenever I have time. Sometimes I have 5 or 10 minutes while I am waiting for whatever reason. I am all about talking to people around you but I have also found those moments to be effective when I use them to pray and follow promptings in what to say on social media that would be uplifting. I have a few to share that work for me and my friends. They are;

1.       Share your testimony in Non-formal ways. Say things like I know…and then tell them what you know by the power of the Holy Ghost. You don’t even need to say that you know things by the power of the Holy Ghost unless you feel prompted to do so. It is also important to remember while there are many principles of the gospel that we can testify. It is the Holy Ghost job to carry that message to their hearts and these simple declarations are very powerful.

2.       Pray for guidance in what you need to share. I have always had that prayer answered. No sooner do I finish a post that the idea for the next one comes home.

3.       When writing your blogs, tweets, instagrams and posts consider that there are people who may not be acquainted with the Latter-day Saints and take time to write explanations that will make it easier for them to understand. Also this will help the rest of us to feel comfortable in sharing your posts with our non-member friends. Don’t worry about the numbers of people who like or comment on your posts, you make a difference if you reach one person or millions.

4.       Share those things that inspire you. Make sure the things you are posting are uplifting and edifying things.

5.       It’s great to be honest about our troubles and how we are turning to the Lord and others for help.

6.       Invite others to pray for blessings that you and your family need.

7.       Take time to support others in their missionary efforts, accept challenges that will help you grow spiritually and share the results.

Redeem the Dead

Redeeming the dead includes family history and temple work. Family history starts by keeping your own history. I have found that this gets more difficult with the demands of family but even taking a few minutes every week will still be beneficial. Everything you choose to record can be useful to your posterity. Also choosing to record when we have had experiences with the Spirit of the Lord will be the most valuable of all. Extraction work has never been easier; the internet makes it possible to do the work of the Lord from our laptop and phones. This is the work of eternity and it has great blessings attached to it. There have been many talks in general conference and I know from personal experience that there is great protection for us and our families. Who couldn’t use more help there? If you need help figuring this out don’t worry it is avialable. There are still also family history centers and consultants in every ward and stake that will be happy to assist you in learning how you may be more useful in this endeavor. Here are things that have helped me, family and friends to get more involved in this important work while we are working on the most important job of being a good mom.

1.       Write in your own journal when you have seen the hand of the Lord bless you and those around you.

2.       Keep journals for your children while they are young and record special events as well as any other thing you feel inspired to write about.

3.       Encourage children who can write to begin keeping a journal. Establish a time in which you all work on your journals. They can also draw pictures which will help you get a little time to write too.

4.       Make photo books with the loads of pictures you have saved on your phone and computer.

5.       Index names using phone, i-pad and laptop.

6.       Look for your cousins that have not had their work done. If they have died over 100 years ago then you are free to do their work. Don’t hesitate asking relatives of those who have died more recently for permission to do their work. This opportunity may turn into a perfecting of the saints, or proclaiming the gospel moment. Multitasking is a strength of females.

7.       Share babysitting with women in your ward or branch so that you have some time for family history work and taking the names you have found to the temple.



May the Lord bless you with an increases ability to feel of His love through your efforts and His grace.

Andrea Erickson Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment